Bad English from localist lawmaker and bath math from CE information officer.
Lost in accent
“I, Yau Wai-ching, solemnly, sincerely and truly declare that and affirm, that being a member of the Legislative Council of the Hong Kong Special Administration Region of the People’s Re-f**king of Shina.” [Ed note – look at the link for ‘Shina’. It’s a thing.]
– Localist legislator-elect Yau Wai-ching (游蕙禎) taking her oath in ‘special accent’
Two systems: Is the ‘foreign influence’ still buying it?
“I have specific concerns about the integrity of Hong Kong’s law enforcement which, under ‘One Country, Two Systems’, is separate from that of mainland China.”
– British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson raising concern over missing booksellers in the latest Six-Monthly Report on Hong Kong.
“[T]he report recommends that the Administration and Congress work together to determine whether separate treatment for Hong Kong […] is merited if Hong Kong’s autonomy and its guaranteed freedoms are further eroded.”
– US Congressional-Executive Committee on China, Co-Chairs Chris Smith and Marco Rubio warning in annual report.
“The political circle and the media have always referred the amount UGL paid to the CE as HKD50 million. Wrong! According to an agreement signed between UGL and the CE on 2 December, 2011, the amount was GBP4 million.”
– CE information officer Andrew Fung Wai-kwong (馮煒光) in defence of CY Leung.
(The amount at the time was around $48,450,000HKD equivalent.)
Latest posts by afharbourtimes (see all)
- Smart city should be data-driven and people-oriented, experts say – November 24, 2017
- Harbour Crossings November 24 – November 24, 2017
- Al Gore on Hong Kong and sustainable investment: Clean up the damn environment! – November 22, 2017