The BEC’s upcoming conference titled ‘Driving Business Ambition into Action for a Net-Zero Hong Kong’ takes place on 17 June. The full-day conference sees commercial and environmental experts come together to share new ideas on how to turn ambition into action for a better future.
The BEC (Business Environment Council)’s newest installment of their yearly EnviroSeries Conference will be held on online on 17 June. Attendance is free and available for sign up now here.
Titled ‘Driving Business Ambition into Action for a Net-Zero Hong Kong’, the conference explores how local businesses can prepare and galvanise to join force in the race to net-zero carbon.
The conference takes a cue from last year’s United Nations COP26 conference in Glasgow which concluded with mixed feelings. Some were disappointed by the outcome, notably the Glasgow Climate Pact’s agreement to “phase down” rather than “phase out” coal. Others welcomed the reaffirmed recognition of the importance of keeping 1.5 degrees within reach by mid-century, and an agreed framework under the Pact to bridge the gaps between ambition and a 1.5-degree future.
Hong Kong steps up
In light of this, the Hong Kong SAR Government announced last October a four-pronged decarbonisation strategy under Hong Kong’s Climate Action Plan 2050 – net-zero electricity generation, energy saving and green buildings, green transport, and waste reduction – with an interim target to half Hong Kong’s carbon emissions before 2035 compared to the 2005 level, and to ultimately achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
One thing though is clear: the key to success is to convert pledges into actions, and to solicit support from corporates and other stakeholders in accelerating and scaling the transition to a net-zero world.
With these goals in mind, the conference aims to:
- Showcase the importance of setting ambition and taking early business action
- Discuss how innovation and partnership can bridge the gap between pledges and action
- Inspire BEC members and the private sector to transform for a net-zero and sustainable Hong Kong
The full itinerary is as follows:
- Session 1: The State of Climate Ambition and Action
- Session 2: Scaling Net-Zero Transition through Innovation and Digital Transformation
- Session 3: From Ambition to Action: Navigating Corporate Climate Journey
- Session 4: Bridging Pledges and Action through Partnership
Harbour Times is proud to be a return as a media partner for the BEC Envrioseries Conference. Find our previous coverage on the BEC here.